What is fair trade?
"Fair trade is a global movement made up of a diverse network of producers, companies, shoppers, advocates, and organizations putting people and planet first."
-Fair Trade Certified
The basis of fair trade is creating a market that is fair and respectful to all. Not only does fair trade ensure fair wages and prompt pay, but it also:
- Contributes to ending poverty around the world
- Ensures safe working environment for all artisans
- Empowers Women
- Has no tolerance towards child labor and ensures that nothing jeopardizes schooling for children
- Provides access to healthcare for producers in and around their communities
- Ensure that educational opportunities are more accessible
- Promotes equitable quality education for producers no matter where they are located
- Environmentally friendly